Friday 9 June 2017

The Soldier and his Song

For Major David Manlun, 2 Naga Regiment and all the Others who have gone before him....

I have nothing but my words to give and so I've woven them into a wreath of respect and remembrance for you, my Brothers.....












I had sung a Song,
In the quiet of the night;
It gave a happy twirl,
Then, sailed out of sight!

Throbbing in its wake,
My lonely guitar pined;
But my Land had called,
The war bells had chimed.....!

I donned my loyal gun;
In steel and strength circled,
Sans fear, sans regret,
Into battle I hurtled.

My old Song meanwhile,
Travelled my lovely Land;
Over rivers and blue hills,
Over the ocean’s brown sand.

By my busy Mom's side,
It stopped for a while;
Danced on her thoughts,
Till she broke into a smile.

It whirled round my Dad,
A flash of cooling breeze;
He paused at his toil-
Moment's happy reprise!

It reached out to friends,
Landing in their dream;
They sang again my Song-
Its old beloved theme.

The enemy is felled;
And now I only long-
As broken I lie here,
For my guitar-woven Song.

On the wings of the bugles' call,
As they lay me down to rest,
My Song's flown back to me
Sleeps now on my Tri-coloured chest!











1 comment:

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!

The masked waitress had placed a wooden tray with three little black porcelain bowls: one, the staple green chillies in vin...